Tuesday, May 20, 2014

MacSafe Adapter NOT charging Macbook? Simple Fix (Reset the SMC)

The Macbook line doesn't just look appealing but everything down to the MagSafe charger is quite brilliant. The power adapter uses magnets to connect the laptop with the AC power charger and if you happen to trip on the wire, it breaks apart causing the wire to snap and your $1000+ laptop not go flying.

Recently a reader of Glyee tweeted me saying her computer wouldn't charge and so I thought it would be a good opportunity to write a post. Also if you ever have any questions tweet me since it's the fastest way of getting in touch with me (@bridgenn).

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)


When I first got my iMac I remember the fans would kick in when I would do light tasks such as write a Micrsoft Word document or surf the internet. I looked online and found I had to reset my SMC, and that's exactly what you have to do here. Resetting the SMC can resolve issues from: unusual fan behavior, batteries not charging, power issues, magsafe adapter not registering, not walking up or sleeping properly, and a list of other issues that I don't know of.


Reset SMC of a Macbook Air, Pro Retina, or Macbook Pro with an Internal battery


1.) Shut down your Macbook completely
2.) Connect the magsafe cable
3.) Hold the Shift, Control, Option, and Power buttons for about five seconds, and then release them all at the same time
4.) Press the power button once more and your Mac has successfully just reset the SMC


 Reset SMC of a Mac Mini, iMac, or Mac Pro


1.) Shut down your Mac completely
2.) Disconnect the power cord, both from the computer as well as the wall outlet
3.) Press the power button for about five seconds then release
4.) Attach the cable(s) back and you have just successfully reset the SMC

No comments:

Post a Comment